Sunday, October 13, 2024

Almost Missed The Boat


Day 366: I very nearly missed the boat with respect to gathering Shaggymanes. I knew I should have gone hunting them earlier, but last week got away from me somehow. When I visited Coprinus Corner a few days ago, most of them had already turned to ink. In the hopes that my second patch would still have a few fresh ones, I started up the hill, but found myself facing a new "No Trespassing" sign within a quarter mile. Sigh. I've lost many good mushrooming spots to logging, development and "strip-mining" by commercial pickers over the years, but never before to a sudden announcement that an area where I've gone walking many times has become private property. This also means that one of my favourite loop hikes is no longer possible. With a great sadness of spirit, I returned to Coprinus Corner and did an intensive search, finally coming up with enough Shaggies for a pitifully small bowl of soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment