365Caws is now in its 16th year of publication. If I am unable to post daily, I hope readers who love the natural world and fiberarts will seize those days to read the older material. Remember that this has been my journey as well, so you may find errors in my identifications of plants. I have tried to correct them as I discover them. Likewise, I have refined fiberarts techniques and have adjusted recipes, so search by tags to find the most current information. And thank you for following me!
Sunday, August 30, 2026
Onion-dyed Skein
The weather wasn't optimal for this solar-dyeing experiment, but I am pleased with the results. Ideally, it would have stayed hot for the full period, however, we moved into a cooling trend after just a few days. In all, the dye bath temperature was quite warm (I could still stick my hand in it) for the first 3-4 days of the 11 I left the yarn to steep, cooling to ambient (45-90 degrees) for the remaining time. I left the jar outside overnight, meaning it cooled down substantially and then had to re-warm during daylight hours, a slow process at best. This was 32 grams of handspun wool (Corriedale) with an equivalent amount of onion skins. I remembered to agitate it occasionally (maybe five times at most). Even so, the wool dyed very evenly.
Labels:
handspun,
solar dyeing,
wool
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment