Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Return to Ring Cycles

It has taken me this long a) to decide how I wanted to finish the edges of the Ring Cycles quilt, and b) to push my principles aside because buying fabric meant having to shop at Cult Central (otherwise known as Hobby Lobby). The store gives me the creeps. The religious atmosphere is stifling, to say nothing of the air of intolerance the employees project as they "profile" me from my short hair and less-than-feminine mode of dress. But I was desperate. I will not buy fabric sight unseen, and since Ben Franklin announced closure of their Bonney Lake store, their selections have dwindled substantially. Likewise, the options at Michael's are limited. Thus, I found myself forced to go to Hobby Lobby, where I suppressed the urge to lace my conversations with profanity for reaction's sake as I requested a 5 1/2 yard cut of lavender cotton broadcloth. That was enough for a border and the backing.

Laying it out meant clearing the floor in the back bedroom, and even then, I couldn't spread out the full width/length. With Merry locked out, I first basted the quilt top to a piece of white muslin to keep the edges of the lavender border from showing through, and then I basted a second time to attach the border strips. I am now in the process of appliquéing the quilt top to the border by hand. It's going fairly quickly. I'll be spending the winter months quilting in the hopes of putting this one in at least one fair next autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment