It's a Grey Day today, and I love grey days, even the kind when the sun doesn't show itself. But this is a different kind of Grey Day, with its own particular brand of sunshine in the person of a family of three Grey (Canada) Jays which have been returning to my suet feeder for several years. I am sure that at least one generation has passed, since the life span of the species in the wild averages a mere eight years with the occasional bird making it twice that long, and I know that my original pair had three offspring one season who could possibly be the three currently visiting the yard. They are a family unit for certain, but whether they are siblings from the same year is something at which I can only guess. That they are repeat customers is undeniable, as they have grown more confident of me and the scary black box with the shiny, blinking eye. They were watching from the mountain-ash, anticipating breakfast when I stepped out to provide it.

No comments:
Post a Comment