365Caws is now in its 16th year of publication. If I am unable to post daily, I hope readers who love the natural world and fiberarts will seize those days to read the older material. Remember that this has been my journey as well, so you may find errors in my identifications of plants. I have tried to correct them as I discover them. Likewise, I have refined fiberarts techniques and have adjusted recipes, so search by tags to find the most current information. And thank you for following me!
Wednesday, October 7, 2026
And Scrubby, Too!
Backlit by morning sun and through a dirty window too, at least I have documentation that Scrubby showed up at the suet feeder today...not just one Scrubby, but two! California Scrub-jay (Aphelocoma californica) has expanded its range in recent years to include my yard, and it's always a thrill to see them. They are slightly larger than my Steller's Jays and somewhat longer in the body, making a very recognizable silhouette when the sun is behind them. And as a bonus this morning, I can now confirm that I have at least five Canada Jays (Perisoreus canadensis), and they appear to belong to the same family unit. I'd better order more suet.

No comments:
Post a Comment