Friday, December 31, 2010

Together Forever


Day 79: With the year drawing to a close, it is fitting that I spend this day with the two dear friends pictured here. Despite the fact that our acquaintance is only newly formed, this couple has become an integral part of my life, accepting me in a manner exceptional for their kind. None of their predecessors showed me this confidence despite my best efforts to win it, and no pair was ever so open in their affections within my sight.

This was a gift I had no right to expect today, but when I laid out the breakfast dog food and cawed out in Crow to announce the spreading of the board, they arrived with a flock of their smaller cousins. They were more cautious in their approach and sat for a while on the fence together, exchanging gurgled intimacies and many beak-to-beak kisses before alighting at the base of the feeding station to begin picking up tidbits knocked off by the flurry of Crows. They graciously allowed a number of photographs to be taken, and once again, this photographer is humbled by the gift of trust these two birds have accorded her. Thank you, my magnificent Raven companions!

No comments:

Post a Comment