Saturday, January 1, 2011

Sparkles And Shadows


Day 80: What better way to ring in the New Year than a snowshoe hike? I left home with plans to make a short round-trip of only two miles, but the snow was in perfect condition and the weather was glorious...well, except for that little issue of temperatures which never went above freezing during the "heat" of the day.

When I left the house headed toward a higher altitude, my home thermometer registered 24° F. I've fished in worse, and here at least I wouldn't be getting my hands wet. Dressing in layers is a Pacific Northwest custom even for non-hikers, although I found myself getting a bit too warm in two pair of long johns (one polypro, one wool) plus a wool shirt and jacket. Less than a mile in, the shirt was stowed away in the pack.

I had a hard time deciding which of three images to post in 365 Caws today, settling on this one because it best captured the conditions, the light and the mood. A Happy New Year to my readers, one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment