Sunday, January 2, 2011

Lichen Fan Club


Day 81: Welcome to the Lichen Fan Club! Apparently, we have a rather extensive membership, of which I was not aware until I balked at posting yet another photo of lichens for the Daily Shoot assignment because I felt I'd already overworked the subject. The Fan Club (and you know who you are!) turned out en masse to say that they would love to see more lichens.

Thus it was that I took a little walk across the snowy pasture opposite my home, my own little Lichenville having seen an early sundown thanks to a large cedar stump on its close horizon. In visiting the larger metropolis of Central Lobaria, I was able to find these sun-dappled and brilliantly green specimens waiting for my lens. I am sorry to say that the areas outlying this core of population are suffering a bit from cold at the moment, and while their brown colors are still attractive, they were not quite suitable for presentation. As the season turns to spring, they will again present their best faces for the Lichen Fan Club's admiring eyes.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for the Lichen Fan Club! I learn so much from your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled to know the lichens have such a wide-spread following! They're fascinating! I wish I knew more about them.

    ReplyDelete