Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mineral


Day 230: As a young student of creative writing, I was keen to seize any new word for my lexicon and one day encountered "louring" in the works of some 19th century author. Although I was somewhat disappointed to learn that it was simply a variant of "lowering," it seemed to me to carry a different sense of meaning than the conventional spelling. I believe it was that word which spawned my later interest in semantics for it always lingered in the back of my mind, awaiting its moment to be placed upon a page. I found it here, in the skies above a pasture, and in the photographic treatment which gave them foreboding substance and weight. These are grey skies, not "gray" (another personal semantic distinction) and they are louring upon the hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment