Thursday, June 9, 2011

Eeyore, Old Grey Donkey


Day 239: Eeyore, the old grey donkey, stood by the side of the stream and looked at himself in the water. "Pathetic," he said. "That's what it is, pathetic. Nobody minds, nobody cares. It's bad enough," said Eeyore, almost breaking down, "being miserable by myself and no proper notice taken of me at all."

Yes, Eeyore is in one of his Moods again, and you can't blame him. People come to his corner to play and frolic, but they pass him by without so much as saying, "How do you do?"

"Not very how," he'd tell them if they did ask, "I don't seem to have felt at all how for a long time." But they don't ask, and that Accounts for a Good Deal. It Explains Everything. "How Like Them," Eeyore would say quietly, morosely watching the children and fishermen who always ignore him entirely.

The old grey donkey I've dubbed "Eeyore" after A. A. Milne's character is small for his breed. Once a workhorse of the timber trade, he is currently pastured out in Gust Backstrom Park in Morton WA. He deserves some recognition for his years of service, so I thought I'd add him to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment