Thursday, September 1, 2011

Bear With Me


Day 323: Today was September Morn, a day of personal significance and one I prefer to spend hiking. To that end, I packed a day-pack and set out for Sunrise in Mt. Rainier National Park well before dawn, planning to arrive at the trailhead about 8:00 AM.

The temperature was a crisp 39° F. at Sunrise when I got out of the car, perfect weather for early-morning hiking. I had no specific plan other than to go as far as my knees would allow, and after reaching Frozen Lake in a mile, I had to make a decision whether to go over Burroughs on a loop trail, climb over Skyscraper Pass, or descend into the bowl called Berkeley Park. The wildflowers won out, even though I knew it would be a long pull climbing out of Berkeley later in the day.

Halfway down the first long traverse, I stopped to take pictures of a Hoary Marmot. When I started up again, motion in the meadow below me caught the corner of my eye. It wasn't long before I saw a head raised from the serious business of breakfast. Yes, a black bear was dining right beside the trail further down.

To prevent frightening my ursine companion into a charge, I spoke loudly without shouting, "Heya, Bear! Hey, Berkeley Bear! Ya mind if I use the trail? Comin' through here." Berkeley wasn't moved. I edged closer, speaking in congenial tones all the while. Berk shambled off into a small hollow and resumed eating.

Well, since I was going that way anyway and had the camera around my neck, the logical thing to do was try to get a picture. The trouble was, Berk was contentedly chewing with his head down. I whistled. I popped and clicked. I sang. Do you think he'd raise his head? I got quite a few shots of bear butt with ears showing above the meadow flowers before he finally looked up and gave me the shot which upstages any other photo I took today. We were about forty feet apart.

It was a glad, good September Morn, but kiddies, do NOT try this at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment