Friday, September 2, 2011

Gearing Up With Sno-Seal


Day 324: For the last month or so, I've been telling myself it was time to Snow-Seal my "daily" boots, the pair I wear for most short hikes, and I kept forgetting. Forgetting? Well, maybe "postponing" would be a better word. Y'see, Sno-Seal is a wonderful product, but when you get it on you, you're pretty well snow-sealed for life, if you know what I mean. I haven't been able to find anything which will take it off your hands without taking off a layer of skin as well. That said, with several active pair of boots, snow-sealing is something I try to get over with all at once, but yesterday, I realized the "daily" boots were going to need additional treatment before the others are due.

To apply the stuff, I heat it in a panful of hot water until it liquifies. I slather it on with a paintbrush and wipe off the excess with paper towels. Then I put the boots on the drier, turn it on and let the gentle heat open the pores of the leather so it can soak in. Even if I haven't gotten any on my hands during the application process, the next few times I use the boots, I'll invariably come into contact with some glob I missed, thereby weatherproofing myself for several more trips on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment