Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Forest Primeval


Day 13: Deep in the heart of a Pacific Northwest forest lies a land beyond time, a place where dinosaurs still roam the Earth as they did thousands of years ago. It is a place filled with dangers, a secret place where only the most intrepid explorers ever go, and only if they are fortunate enough to find a guide who knows the way. I was there. I saw them with my own two eyes.

Hang on a mo'...dinosaurs? Did you say "dinosaurs?" Uh-huh, I did. Three of 'em. There was a Stegosaurus, a Dimetrodon and a Tyrannosaurus rex. Ol' T-rex looked like he was in the mood for a meal, so I didn't stick around long but before I beat-feeted it out of there, I had time to grab one quick picture as the big guy lumbered down the slope.

Not buyin' the story, eh? The scene is right outside my door in the Land of Lichenopolis and the three thunder lizards are wood carvings my mother accepted in lieu of cash payment for a debt. In my childhood years, they always sat on the top of the hutch, out of reach of young hands which would have regarded them as toys. I'm happy to say they still have a place of honor on a display shelf in my present home. T-rex, despite looking very ferocious, assures me he's gone vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment