Friday, October 14, 2011

Gatherer's Gold


Year Two begins!

Day 1: I decided to try my luck on the Hugo Peak trail today with great hopes for a nice fry-up of Chanterelles and maybe a bowl of homemade cream-of-mushroom soup on the side. I packed my 'shroom knife and a plastic bag (and the camera, of course) and set out toward a spot which has rewarded me many times in the past. I found a few small buttons en route..."hardly enough to fill your hollow tooth," as my mother used to say...and then upon reaching Six (an interpretive sign), I scored. By the time I was through picking, I had enough small ones for a light meal.

As long as I was near the top, I went on up to Hugo in the fog, picking up one of the larger mushrooms of the day, but only one. I was a little disappointed because I could see where another picker had beat me to the punch. There was one last hope: head down the 1000 Rd. rather than the trail. At Kirkland Pass, I found three more lovely large 'shrooms and my hopes were realized. Tomorrow night's menu includes a Chanterelle sauté and cream soup with a touch of garlic!

No comments:

Post a Comment