Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Nameless Alpine Tarn


Day 365: The first year of 365 Caws began in the mountains, so it is fitting that it closes there today. Following a busy morning, I stopped briefly at home and then continued on up the hill with nothing particular in mind. When I arrived at Reflection Lake late in the day, the trail to Faraway Rock seemed to present a more reasonable destination than the Pinnacle Peak trail, so that was the direction my feet took. Arriving at the top of the rock, I discovered two other hikers, so in search of a private spot, I continued on a short ways, arriving at this nameless alpine tarn which is set atop a high bench of rock. It took me a bit by surprise. Although I've swum its shallow water in years past as a September Morn celebration, I had forgotten it until it presented its crystal-bright mirror before my eyes. It was as if I had met again an old friend with whom I had lost touch, a friend who reminded me to reflect on each moment, each image from the last year's tally of days. In it, I found a restoration of perspective. These things, Nature and my beloved mountains, are why I draw each breath.

I hope you will take a few moments to explore the earlier postings in the first year of 365 Caws, and I invite you to follow along as a second year begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment