Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Nice Fry-Up



Day 354: Our recent spell of rainy weather has brought the first Chanterelles out of hiding! I spotted pickers yesterday, emerging from a spot within a mile of home, so knowing that they'd have missed a few, I stuck a plastic sack in one pocket and my 'shroom knife in the other and set off on foot in search of dinner.

With the upswing in commercial picking, it's getting harder and harder for the locals to find this annual delight. I have gone several years without finding enough for a single bowl of soup, but two years ago, I found a patch which is apparently too long a hike to interest the harvesters. Finding them near home is unusual, to say the least. I always take care not to over-harvest any one patch, leaving a few as "seeds." I'm quite content to have one or two nice dinner fry-ups each year, perhaps supplemented with a bowl of rich, creamy soup, and consider anything beyond that a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment