Monday, October 3, 2011

A Tiny Harvest


Day 355: Years ago, I saw a display of very realistic beaded blackberries, life-sized. Although I have yet to make any for myself, the seeds for other beaded edibles were planted in my mind and eventually, I settled on creating Indian Corn using "crow" beads. Crow beads are rather large, so I wrapped layers of felt around cores of raffia and left the ends protruding as peeled-back "corn husks." The finished cobs were about two and a half inches long excluding husks. They looked quite like the ears of miniature Indian Corn you find in grocery stores at this time of year.

Nevertheless, when I do needlework or crafts of any type, I tend to lean toward the smaller scale, crocheting with a fine hook or knitting with the smaller gauge needles. I decided to attempt the same basic corn pattern using #13 beads. For the husks, I used leather because the raffia was too fragile at this scale. The ear of corn you see here is less than three-quarters of an inch long.

No comments:

Post a Comment