Sunday, October 23, 2011

Princess Of Reflection Lake


Day 10: I had gone up to Longmire to photograph a mushroom I'd spotted yesterday, knowing I'd need the tripod for a long exposure. Just for the heck of it, I decided I'd go on up to Reflection Lake. A half mile or so down the Stevens Canyon Road, I noticed Miss Foxy walking toward a pull-out. I got there before she did, but no sooner than I'd stopped, she approached the car looking for a handout. Sorry, lady! We don't feed the wildlife. That's against Park rules, you know.

Undeterred by my refusal to toss her a snack, she sat down about ten feet from my driver's side door and proceeded to give me The Stare. Once or twice, she looked away when she heard a jay calling, but then resumed her vigil. I decided to take a chance on frightening her away and opened the door. She walked about five feet and sat down again. I got out and crouched down to take a few shots at her level. Finally, she must have realized there were no treats forthcoming, so she stood up, stretched like a cat and sauntered off, occasionally glancing back over her shoulder to see if I'd changed my mind.

I think this is probably the same vixen I saw near this spot on July 26th of this year in her "silver phase" coat. I do wish I could put a clause into her contract to read, "Must sit in wildflowers, not on road."

No comments:

Post a Comment