Friday, November 4, 2011

Threads Of Childhood


Day 22: In the garment of my life, the threads of childhood have worn thin and few remain. Of these, books are what I treasured most dearly, and preserved with care for lo, these many years.

"The Churkendoose" is a social lesson, poor Churkendoose unaccepted by the other barnyard fowl because he was of mixed parentage.

"Well, I'm not a Chicken, and I'm not a Duck.
I have more brains than I have luck.
I'm not a Turkey, and I'm not a Goose.
Can't you see? I'm a Churkendoose!"

and a repeating refrain of

"Can't you like me just because I'm me?"

He gains the other animals' admiration when he saves them from a fox.

"The Color Kittens" Hush and Brush painted the world in all the colors we know today. Short on green,

"they wanted green paint, of course, because nearly every place they liked to go was green."

They finally accomplished their task and then, frisky kittens that they were, they got a bit too pouncy and spilled all the paint together, making brown.

"And in all that brown, the sun went down. It was evening and the colors began to disappear in the warm dark night." The text is a presentation of color theory at a child's level and the illustrations are delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment