Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Birds And Boughs


Day 61: It will probably come as no surprise to my readers that my Christmas tree is decorated largely with birds. Most of them are painted wood, a collection I gathered in an import shop many years ago. They were mounted on the ends of cocktail swizzle sticks. I simply sawed them off, filled any gaps with wood putty and painted over the mend. In a few cases where the color defeated my best attempts to match it, I repainted the entire bird.

However, it is not the wooden birds which are the subject of this photo. The song "Silver and Gold" invariably comes to my lips as I place a small selection of metal baubles on the tree: three embossed birds in flight and acorns (to feed the birds, of course).

"Silver and gold, silver and gold!
Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure its worth?
Just by the pleasure it gives here on earth.
Silver and gold, silver and gold
Mean so much more when I see
Silver and gold decorations
On every Christmas tree."

No comments:

Post a Comment