Monday, December 12, 2011

Holiday Finery


Day 60: Throughout December and January, my assorted Zygocacti put on quite a show. This yellow one is my favorite, and it almost sneaked its blooming period past me unnoticed.

Y'see, the Zygos live on a window shelf in my back bedroom (now known as the "weaving room"). There, they have good exposure to sunlight, as well as cooler temperatures owing to the fact that I have the heat register for that room nearly closed. The combination is exactly what these cacti require: cool nights and good sun. Give them those two things and a little fertilizer now and then, and they'll reward you lavishly.

So why did I nearly miss Yellow's flowers? He slipped them down behind the back edge of the shelf! I happened to spot one bud on a shorter branch and then discovered several spent blooms hidden below. Now he's out in the living room where I can enjoy them. The blooms following this one will be less pink as the plant adjusts to lower light levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment