Sunday, April 22, 2012

Blue-Eyed Mary, Collinsia Rattanii


Day 192: After a short bike ride of 15 miles yesterday, I got up this morning with every intention of topping it off with a seven or eight mile hike in Pack Forest, but was suddenly seized by an impulse to hop back on the bike and ride a different trail. It was a good decision. Not only did I ride 35 miles, I found this lovely, teeny-tiny wildflower growing in a single area no more than six feet long by a foot and a half wide. I believe it is a first for me of this species, and that turns any day into a good day in my book.

Meet Blue-Eyed Mary, also known as Rattan's Collinsia. Mary is a native to Washington, and according to my field guide, she prefers moist areas. Why, then, was she growing on a dry Scotch broom prairie under the shade of Douglas firs? Her little flowers measure approximately 3/8" from tip-top of the pale petals to the bottom of her blue chin, and the only thing which saves her from being overlooked entirely is the intense sky-blue of those lower petals.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! those are gorgeous little girls......never seen nor heard of......how very lucky you were to see these based on their apparent rareness.....all I can "feel" is soreness in many places you having ridden that far :( Gave up the roller skates.....too scary for my age & want to preserve my legs & brain for lots of hiking this summer & many more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the least bit sore this morning, although I got a little too much sun on my legs. 35-40 miles is an "average" ride for me. Did one 60 last year and a couple of 50s.

      Delete