Saturday, April 21, 2012

His Best Side


Day 191 (bonus edition): "Let me tell you of an interview
With an 'old-man' emu...
He's got a beak and feathers and things,
But the poor ol' feller ain't got no wings."

So goes a song on one of Lazy Harry's albums, and while it's not entirely accurate (emus do have vestigial wings), a further line is entirely true. Emu is heard to say,

"I can't fly, but I'm tellin' you
I can run the pants off a kangaroo."

Raising emus for meat and oil is growing in popularity in western Washington, and this old feller was going nowhere because he was behind a high farm fence beside the Foothills Trail, clearly marked with signs saying "Do Not Feed The Animals." As I passed back by in the afternoon, a family of four was sitting on the grass poking bits of granola bar through the mesh.

The photo is a composite of two. I couldn't decide which was his "best side."

No comments:

Post a Comment