Monday, April 9, 2012

Traffic Bells


Day 179: We're having a potluck dinner at work this week, so after I decided to take my favorite sauerkraut salad, I realized I could pep...uh-oh, bad pun, unintentional...it up a little by adding three colors of bell pepper instead of one, and I'd get to use the bells as photo props before the chopping started. If you're wincing at the thought of sauerkraut, let me explain that the salad is actually rather sweet in the way coleslaw is sweet. It's also very colorful and festive. I'll post the recipe for you to try.

As for the photo, it was taken outdoors in bright sun, so I had to tone down the hot spots which were otherwise unavoidable, bringing them into an acceptable level. The white background was provided by a piece of cardstock, and the peppers were threaded on a piece of clear monofilament and then hung from a long stick where they wouldn't cast a shadow on the stock. I also brushed out the piece of mono which was barely visible between the red and yellow peppers.

Now here's that recipe I promised. Close your eyes and pretend you don't know it's sauerkraut. You'll love it on a hot summer afternoon.

1 16 oz. can of sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1/2 cup grated carrot (optional)
1 2 oz. jar of pimientos, drained
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt (optional)

Rinse the sauerkraut thoroughly with clear water and squeeze out any excess liquid. Combine all ingredients and chill for 24 hours. Drain before serving. It will keep in the fridge for several days, and only has 25 calories per 1/2 cup serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment