Thursday, May 17, 2012

Creature Of Air And Magic


Day 217 (bonus edition): I set out to do some hummingbird photography today, the window open, the screen slid back, watching cats out of the corner of my eye with the camera on my knee, lens trained on the leftmost feeder port which was in shadow. I had a rather long exposure set and knew the background would burn out a bit accordingly. I keep one-inch black plastic netting across the window as a measure to keep grosbeaks from knocking themselves silly on the glass, and this I'd gathered and clothespinned to the edge of the screen. In the viewfinder, it made some interesting bokeh. I wasn't sure how that would translate in a larger view, though. When I got the photos in the computer, I was amazed at the effect created by the netting. While this isn't a field-guide shot by any means, I think it's one of my best hummer images.

2 comments:

  1. This IS s terrific capture Crow! what a process you go thru to get the shots you do, but the results are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all part of being a photographer, Di, and it comes as second nature when you've been at it as long as I have.

      Delete