Monday, June 4, 2012

American Goldfinch, Carduelis Tristis


Day 235: One of my favorite summer birds, the Goldfinches are back. This year, they seem to be more nervous. I have been trying to photograph one for several days, and each time I slide the kitchen door open, they take off and don't return for several hours. I fooled this one and his lady-friend whose tailfeathers are visible behind him. I opened the living room window instead. The vantage point places me closer to the feeders, but it may also bolster their confidence, knowing that I'm indoors.

Purportedly a year-'round resident of western Washington, I never see them until May or June. Goldfinches love thistle seed (nyjer), but will also eat other small seed and even tree buds. Blown dandelion heads are another favorite, which gives me an excuse not to mow my lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment