Sunday, June 3, 2012

Hatiora Rosea


Day 234: Today was one of those days when I was frustrated at every turn as I attempted to find subject matter for 365 Caws. Even though I was finally able to put a name to a wildflower I've been unable to identify for years, I couldn't get a good shot of it because the light was poor and the wind was blowing. After several dozen tries, I gave it up as a lost cause. Desperate, I said to myself, "Well, there's always daisies. I can stick 'em down in food coloring to do something different," so off I went to find them. I got home and couldn't locate the vase I wanted to use. While searching for it, I went in the back bedroom where the Christmas cacti spend the year and got a huge surprise. The Hatiora was in bloom! And not just a blossom or two, but lavishly so.

This "miniature" cactus (often called an Easter cactus) was given to me by a friend about thirty-five years ago. It has survived countless bouts of underwatering and neglect, and occasionally rewards me far beyond what I deserve. It is now sitting above the computer where it will receive compliments from anyone who pays a visit to my home.

1 comment:

  1. as the saying goes......there is beauty all around if one just looks WOW!!! a jaw-dropper flowering plant! never heard of an Easter one, only the Christmas cactus. A good day after all!

    ReplyDelete