Saturday, June 2, 2012

Bird, Watching


Day 233: With hummingbirds buzzing through the air like a swarm of gnats, you'd think I'd get tired of photographing them, but when one perches just a few feet from me and gives me the eye, I can't resist. This little lady was making trips back and forth to the feeder alternately with roosting on the tomato support about five feet from my lens. If that's not the hummingbird equivalent of signing a model release, I don't know what is!

Female Rufous Hummingbirds currently outnumber the males at my feeders by approximately 12:1. With cooler temperatures and light rain, each feeder may have as many as six birds simultaneously at the ports or waiting for one to be vacated. You're in danger of getting your ears pierced or your eyes poked out when you walk out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment