Friday, July 6, 2012

Columbia Spotted Frog, Rana Luteiventris


Day 267 (Extra edition): As I was biking down the trail, I noticed three boys of teenage or pre-teen years intently watching a small bog. Their posture was unmistakable: frog hunters. I dropped my bike off to the side and went over to see for myself.

I have to say that these were the most mannerly young gentlemen I've met in some time. I would guess the oldest at perhaps 17, and he asked the youngest (about 12) to stand back until I had gotten my pictures. There were quite a few subjects to choose from, and although this fellow had dived into protection earlier, he re-emerged in the same spot five minutes later. I believe this is a Columbia Spotted Frog, although I'm not positive of that identification.

No comments:

Post a Comment