Friday, July 6, 2012

Cute Chickadee Trumps Uncommon Wildflower


Day 267 (Standard Edition): Sheesh, I went out for another bike ride today (34 miles before I got too hot and called it quits), and I saw more cool things along the trail than I've seen in a long time. I couldn't get a picture of the Western Tanager, but I did manage to capture this Black-Capped Chickadee which, in my opinion, is one of the toughest photographic subjects you'll ever meet. This is only the second photo I've ever gotten of the species, and is by far the better of the two.

But only a few minutes earlier, I'd discovered a small grouping of Large-Flowered Collomias (Collomia grandiflora). Oh dear! I couldn't make a decision between the two subjects in the field, but even once I had them at full size on the screen, the choice was difficult. I finally decided that a cute Chickadee trumps an unusual wildflower...but then what do I do with the California Quail and the Columbia Spotted Frog and that pesky Western Scrub Jay who finally allowed me a good shot? Today's 365 Caws has gone into extras! "Read all about it! Read all about it! Get yer papers here!"

2 comments:

  1. So enjoyed the "extra" edition today! Yes, the chickadees are so hard to catch....not yet for me.....I have youngsters at my feeders......the scrub jays another.....prolific here, but so flitting......the Western Tanager.....saw a PAIR while walking canyon trail, but .no camera with me (only cell), so no pics...dang!.....the quail....everywhere in our yard, etc.....took pics of the parents & 11 babes parading thru the backyard, but alas, no good pics. Memories :) Ya done good & sounds like lotsa fun on your bike ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I was having fun yesterday! I went past a lot of interesting things I've already photographed because I'm always hoping to catch something new for 365 Caws...and I wound up having (or not :LOL: ) to make choices. "Feast or famine" would have been a good way to describe the day. I have Pine Siskins at my feeders...a bird which is said to be in decline...and Chickadees don't like to keep company with Siskins. Given the choice...well, you see what I mean. I just have to hunt for Chickadees elsewhere. And sometimes they're across the road, hanging out in the brush on either side of the gap where I go through to get cloud shots, but I can never get focused on them before they flit off to another branch. I was so thrilled to get this little guy even if it isn't a perfect "field guide" side shot.

      Delete