Friday, July 27, 2012

Fat Spike


Day 288: It's funny how a word can affect the mind. When I was shopping for lavender plants for my garden, I nearly passed over "Fat Spike" because of his unglamorous name. "Fat Spike" might be a gangster's underworld moniker, or an appellation stuck on an unpopular child by tormenting peers. I had "Hidcote" in one hand and was looking to fill the other with a second variety, and despite "Fat Spike's" tall and beautiful spires, I kept turning away to browse among "Munstead," "Grosso" and "Sachet." I even considered a Spanish variety in pink (my least favorite color), and all because "Fat Spike" sounded vulgar and crude. I stood there cogitating for the longest time, "Spike's" elegant minarets waving gently in a warm morning breeze which sent their fragrance wafting in my direction, and finally the silliness of my dilemma registered. All things considered, I think I can live with "Fat Spike's" importune name because he promises to deliver an abundance of long-stemmed, fragrant stalks for weaving into lavender wands, gifts to scent friends' "dainties."

No comments:

Post a Comment