Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Long-Lost Stubby


Day 322: Our local phone company is burying their lines, and today it was my turn to have the equipment in my yard. Ever the sidewalk superintendent, I went out with the camera to observe and document the proceedings. As I was watching the backhoe taking great bites out of my euphemistically-termed "lawn," the driver stopped suddenly and climbed down from the cab to scrabble through the soil dropped by the scoop. From the rubble, he lifted up a glass stubby, a type of beer bottle I don't believe has been used since the 50s or 60s, about the time they would have been hauling fill dirt in to raise the level of my yard. Both of us were amazed that the backhoe hadn't broken the bottle which I casually placed on the porch beneath a begonia. On looking back at the scene, I said to myself, "There's a photo in that," and thus you see the Long-Lost Stubby posterized. It was one of two trophies, the second being an enormous rock which I adopted under the loosely written description of "landscaping." What the heck, it was free, right? They even set it for me after I bribed them with cookies.

2 comments:

  1. cookies?????? you got off cheap!!! Rocks cost a fortune these days! Fun story & pic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, if I'd had to buy this rock and have it set, it probably would have cost me $1500 or so, but the guys were...well...up against a rock and a hard place. They couldn't put it back in the hole because they were burying power/phone lines and they couldn't leave it on the side of the road, and they couldn't shove it off into the landowner's property on that side of the road. If I hadn't taken it off their hands, they would have had to bring in a dump truck to haul it away. I saved them time and money, and I got a big rock I'm now going to have to spray weed-killer around. Trust me on this, I have a "country" yard: mostly weeds and molehills. This ain't no fancy landscapin' job!

      Delete