Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Worm Box


Day 316: What do you give a child on their first birthday? Well, I received a set of World Book Encyclopedias (first person who says, "Yeah, we could tell..." is going to get smacked in the eye) and a small ceramic planter in the shape of a big green worm wearing a top hat, a cactus installed in the center of his back. That gift began a collection which multiplied over the years with purchases and gifts from friends and relatives.

A few mishaps along the way reduced the numbers by a small margin; my best friend's cat ate one of the smallest worms and several others went missing during a move. Some were eventually replaced, and although perhaps the colors were different, you could see that the "worm" had been cast in a duplicate mold. More modern additions are resin, plastic or metal; ceramics are difficult to find. The keen-eyed among my readers will spot a few anomalies here: kitties, a few birds, a sheep, but this is the Worm Box, whoever may live in its apartments, and many of its residents are only a few years younger than the one who placed them in their cubbyholes. To this day, I still love caterpillars, and I still have the original worm in a top hat given to me on my first birthday.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my.......I can see where all this "EDUCATIONAL INFO" began......on your FIRST birthday?????? Your parents must have been quite the thoughtful souls with creativity passed on as well. And you......a saver of most important and meaningful things. Love the worm (etc) box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and I read it from cover to cover over the years. I still have the set as well. Bought a Britannica in the mid-60s, soon figured out that it didn't contain the kind of information I really wanted to know, but my old and out-dated World Book did. I chucked the Britannica and kept World Book. I still use it from time to time for things like weights and measures and other information which doesn't change with the political tone of a country.

      Delete