Thursday, August 16, 2012

Ghost Pipe, Monotropa Uniflora


Day 317: Today's trip to the Grove of the Patriarchs and Ohanapecosh was inspired by a lead from a friend who told me she had seen Ghost Pipe growing alongside the trail to the Grove. Even with her instructions, I was unable to locate the particular cluster of Monotropa uniflora; however, I was able to locate another further on, a specimen which enjoyed the "sun-fleck" nature of its habitat even as lighting conditions gave me fits. In one second, the light would shift from illuminating solely the foremost flower to falling entirely on the hindmost. As I waited on the boardwalk for the perfect moment, the mosquitoes were having a heyday on my back and arms. Ah, the sacrifices we make for our art! Finally, the sun fell where it was wanted, and I got my shot.

The east side of the Park is a treasure-trove of mycoheterotrophic species for some reason. I do not believe any studies have been done, nor do I have any hypotheses as to why one creek drainage should have more mycoheterotrophs than another. I do know that some species live in symbiosis with only one fungal component, but I do not know if that holds true for all of them. Ghost Pipe, Pinesap and Candy Stick do appear in other locations throughout the Park, but not so abundantly as they do around Laughingwater Creek.

There is so much yet to learn about the world around us! A few years ago, mycoheterotrophy was misunderstood, and these plants were classified as saprophytes. Now that we better understand the symbiotic relationship they have with certain fungi, a whole new area of research has opened up. Science in action! And I am thrilled to have witnessed the expansion of knowledge surrounding these elegant and rare plants. As I have said to friends, "If I had it to do all over again, I would specialize in mycoheterotrophs." What an amazing family!

No comments:

Post a Comment