Monday, September 17, 2012

Common Seaman's Ditty Bag - Work In Progress


Day 349: No sooner than I complete one project, I start a new one. In this case, it's a common seaman's ditty bag made from heavy cotton duck. Once the basic bag is completed, I will make three small rope grommets to buttonhole into place along the upper edge. Then the real fun begins! Using a variety of fancy knots and hitches of the type seen in marlinespike seamanship, I will create a long lanyard to serve as a shoulder strap. This piece will also be part of my proposed exhibit of knotwork at next year's Puyallup Fair.

You may notice that I'm using a curved needle here. This is helpful in keeping the overcast stitches uniform on both the front and the back of the work. The straight seam behind the overcasting was worked with a three-sided sailmaker's needle. It's always best to have the proper tool for the job, and of course a good sewing kit was an essential piece of equipment which the old-time sailor stowed in his ditty bag. No off-the-shelf items in those days! Even the ship's ropes were made on board, re-spun from fibers salvaged from worn-out lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment