Saturday, October 27, 2012

Biological Imperative



Day 25: Driven by a biological imperative, this little fellow has picked a poor spot for his winter home. Presumably, he has attached himself to the north side of my garage by a thread, or at least so I'm guessing. He has not budged in an hour and has so far resisted the wind's best attempts to disloge him. I do not know his species, but in this year of scant butterflies, the options are rather few. Of greater concern is a question: could I (or should I) attempt to effect a rescue or simply let Nature take its course? As harsh as it seems, I suspect I would do more damage by intervening than I might prevent by interfering For all I know about the processes which compel this tiny creature, perhaps it is doing precisely what it needs to do to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment