Friday, October 26, 2012

Brush Yoar Teef



Day 24: Tip and Skunk have asked me to make a Public Service Announcement regarding increased consumption of sweets during the holiday seasons. In Tip's words, "Brush yoar teef!"

Both of my cats are poster children for good dental hygiene, having been trained in healthy brushing habits from early on. First introduced to the idea with a gentle gum massage using my index finger, it only took a few weeks before they would accept dry-brushing. I allowed each cat to select a position in which they were comfortable. Skunk sits facing me, while Tip prefers to sit at an angle on my lap which allows me to make nose contact with him occasionally in reassurance. Another helpful hint is to avoid direct eye contact. If your cat looks squarely at you during the process, avert or close your eyes to mitigate the sense of threat implied by a hard stare. Don't try to restrain your pet. It's better to take small steps toward the goal than to attempt to force them into submission (which won't work, I guarantee it). Brushing twice a week should be sufficient, especially if accompanied by use of a dental rinse (available from your veterinarian).

Only use a toothpaste specifically designed for pets, and introduce it only after dry-brushing has been fully accepted. Most pet-formula pastes are sticky, and your furry friends may resent it getting on their faces in the process of getting it in their mouths. Apply a small amount to the toothbrush and then gently lift the upper lip with a finger or the brush so that the paste only contacts teeth and gums. My kids let me know if they need a quick dry-brushing between their routine toothpaste treatments by sitting beside their toothbrush holder. If your cat wants to chew while you're brushing, gently support their lower jaw as I am doing with Tip's in the photo. And this should go without saying: don't share toothbrushes between cats. You wouldn't use someone else's, and neither should they.

No comments:

Post a Comment