Monday, November 26, 2012

Blushing Zygo



Day 55: The slowest member of the family has finally caught up to its yellow, vermillion and picotee cousins. Defined as a "white" variety of Zygocactus, the richness of this plant's pink shade is a function of its environment. An abundance of light produces a deeper tint, as do warmer temperatures. I manage to keep mine at a pleasant "shell pink" stage by keeping it in a cool room, over to one side where a lace curtain filters the light of a south window for the better part of the day.

As my Zygos come into bloom, they are moved to a place of honor atop the hutch of my desk. There they remain until all but the last flowers have faded, gleefully shedding pollen on anything below them. I have to be careful to position them where they can't "dust" the computer keyboard, but I love having their colors dangle at the top of my field of vision. Zygocacti are easy to grow, easy to bring into flower. No home should be without a few!

No comments:

Post a Comment