Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Dotting And Crossing



Day 56: This morning as I prepared to leave home to meet up with the facilitator who would be helping me submit proper documentation for my father's term in the Mukden Prisoner of War camp in the hopes of obtaining a Purple Heart for him posthumously, it occurred to me that there was one letter I had neglected to submit to anyone. I thought I'd take it along as a curiosity, if for no other reason. It turned out that that letter, written on watermarked White House stationery, still in its postmarked envelope, personalized to my father and signed by President Harry Truman was the one piece of supporting evidence I most needed. With all his military records in hand, I was informed by the facilitator that she had never seen anyone so well-prepared. After reviewing the papers, she put in a phone call to an official at the Military Order of the Purple Heart who told her, "You can't argue with a letter from the President!"

As we filled out forms, she told me that I would need to obtain a certified copy of Harry's letter, or alternately, I could entrust it to her and she would have a copy made at the County Auditor's office where it would also be recorded as an official document. I was nervous about handing it over, but in the interest of getting the process started, I did so. She informed me that without a doubt, my dad was eligible.

Just a few moments ago, I received a call from her. It is official. My father has been awarded both the Purple Heart and the Prisoner of War Medal. It remains only to dot a few i's and cross a few t's in the interest of keeping government databases coordinated as I wait for the physical medals to be sent to me.

I had a fantastic crew on this voyage, and can never hope to repay friends Ruth, Kevin, Patty and Alison, and the many contacts from various PoW organizations who have so generously donated their time and support as I pursued this award in my father's name. I expected this to be a process of many months, but it began on Veterans Day, only a little more than two weeks ago, and if not quite concluded yet, the outcome is guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment