Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Steller's Jay, Cyanocitta Stelleri



Day 42: If you have been following my blog, perhaps you will understand why today I am falling back on something "safe," a place where I can ground myself. I take refuge in Nature when I am troubled, literally and figuratively, often going out for long hikes where I can escape the rest of the world and all things cease to exist except those which immediately surround me. I find strength in the mountain ridges, stability in the repetitive fall of my feet on the trail, harmony in tall trees and clouds, and I feel that the Earth herself, Gaia the mother, breathes her life into my spirit. The birds I so dearly love uplift me in their gathering, and their conversations distract me from the sentences of human speech.

An abundance of Steller's Jays and Spotted Towhees fill the branches of the contorted filbert today, and it occurred to me that my daily posts have neglected my favorite subjects for some time now. I had only to offer a salary of sunflower seed to have models knocking at the door. I did not need to leave home in search of emotional compass; it found me, and cussed me out for taking so long with breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment