Sunday, December 2, 2012

Cardinals



Day 61: The Cardinal, that iconic Bird of Christmas, does not occur in the Pacific Northwest, nor in many other western states. Why, then, do I always hunt for Christmas cards with Cardinals on them? Is it that Cardinals are so festive in their bright red feathers and their perky little crests? A Steller's Jay is just as beautiful (and bigger, I might add), and Cedar Waxwings are pretty too. How did Cardinals steal the show?

I remember seeing my first Cardinal on a trip back east a few years ago. I was utterly thrilled, and not just because I got to add a new bird to my Life List. Finally, the mythological Christmas symbol had proved itself to exist! I felt like I'd just witnessed Santa on a rooftop or Rudolph grazing apples off snow-burdened tree. A Cardinal! Never mind that the bird was much smaller than I'd expected, for what he lacks in stature, the Cardinal makes up for in vibrant color. I was surprised too at this bird's voice which sounds nothing like any other topknotted species in my acquaintance. It is melodious, a songbird's voice, and so unlike the raucous calls of the Jays.

The Cardinal, of course, is not a Jay. Nor is it a member of the corvid family. I had to dispel those illusions early in my career as a birder. A topknot does not a jaybird make, but perhaps the physical similarities are part of my fascination with "redbirds." In any event, there is no denying that a Cardinal signifies Christmas cheer, and thus I wish you the spirit of the season. Enjoy these delightful creatures if they come to your back yard, and let them sign my best wishes to you!

2 comments:

  1. I am obsessed with cardinals, too, and we do not have them here in Colorado. When birding in Texas I take hundreds of photos of them and my friends think I'm nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having seen them only once when I was in Arkansas, one never forgets their beauty. And SEASONS' best to you as well!

    ReplyDelete