Saturday, December 1, 2012

Ooooh, Shiny!



Day 60: Just like my corvid namesakes, this Crow likes shiny objects, and just as my cousins are wont to do, I collect them, play with them for a while, and then cache them away somewhere and promptly forget all about them. Occasionally, I revisit the spots where they're stashed for some other purpose and then experience a delightful moment of surprise as forgotten treasures are turned out into the light.

This cloisonné vase dates back to my late husband's jewelry-making days. He made purchases of raw gem materials, silver and gold casting grain and other professional supplies from a variety of outlets, some of which also wholesaled imports. Oftentimes, Christmas morning would be populated with an array of beautiful dust-catchers he'd gathered in his visits to the dealers, objects which would spend a year or so on display in our home and then be put away to make room for the next influx. Eventually, I had to weed out all but a few favorites. The cloisonné vase survived the culling, although it was wrapped and put into storage. Today as I hunted for something else, it resurfaced long enough for this photo. Some day, I'll "find" it again and be equally surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment