Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Orbital Dance


Day 85: Even if I do lose 'em all, I have friends who send me new marbles from time to time! These are two from the dozen I found individually wrapped in a great ginormously huge bag under my Christmas tree, and I laughed out loud as I unwrapped each one. I picked these two for my blog shot today because the glass is so beautifully clear, unlike most modern marbles which are made with recycled materials.

Like most kids of my era, I always coveted cat's-eyes and marbles with swirls of color in clear glass. I had a particular passion for white cat's-eyes which in those days were quite unusual, likewise those with white swirls. I never played "keepsies" because I didn't want to risk losing one of my treasures, but on one notable occasion, I traded several marbles just to get one white cat's-eye. For years, it was the pride of my collection.

Alas, my original tin of marbles went by the wayside when I left home and grew up, but in number, my current collection surpasses the old by thousands. Most "commons" are kept in a five-gallon glass pickle jar and a large fruitcake tin. A few special treasures are kept behind glass on a shelf, as these will be when I get done playing with them. Thanks, Mousie! :wink:

No comments:

Post a Comment