Friday, January 4, 2013

Hard Water

Day 94: I returned to work today after two weeks off, and discovered that winter had settled on Longmire with a vengeance. The parking area which had only been lightly dusted with snow before Christmas was a solid sheet of ice and the ground was covered with approximately two feet of white cold. I went out walking during lunch, Yak Trax on my boots not entirely adequate to keep me from slipping and sliding, although I made it as far as the Community Building on the far side of the river and back without incident. I took the obligatory snow photos because who can resist a winter wonderland? But what really intrigued me was the moss encapsulated by ice just outside the back door of the Administration Building.

Getting a shot was tricky. The nodules were forming even as I tried to focus, drips from the eave above spattering as they hit the rounded surfaces. I'd get the lens close and...splat! I'd have to wipe it dry again. But persistence paid off and I was glad to go indoors again to reheat my chill-reddened hands. It's hard to run camera buttons with mittens on!

No comments:

Post a Comment