Friday, January 18, 2013

Lapis Lazuli, Sky In A Rock


Day 108: One of the options for December's birthstone, lapis lazuli ("LAP-is LAZ-oo-li," not "LAP-is laz-OO-li" is as blue as the sky. It is the gem form of lazurite and often has flecks of pyrite distributed throughout the stone. There has been some debate as to whether or not this is desirable, and even now it boils down to purchaser preference. I happen to like it, and thus purchased most of my rough with pyrite inclusions. On the other hand, veins of white calcite may also be present in the mineral. These are undesirable.

The stone in the pendant measures 20 x 30 mm. I have a small bag of raw pieces, but I gave up lapidary work over forty years ago and sold off all my equipment. I couldn't bear to part with the rocks, though, and still have several boxes of assorted slab material as well as other chunk rough. Collecting rocks is more fun than wearing them in my book!

1 comment: