Saturday, January 19, 2013

Site Steward


Day 109: Amongst other less pleasant things occurring on this day, this morning I attended a training session at Pack Forest for new and old Nisqually Land Trust Site Stewards. I have been a Steward at the Ohop valley property for over half a year now, and learned quite a bit about the other properties the Land Trust manages. I also got to meet other Stewards who work in the same area and was intrigued to find that among us, we perform quite a wide variety of duties. My focus is on wildlife observations, native plants and removal of invasives, and litter patrol. Other tasks include water sampling, salmon inventories, revegetation projects, fence repair and so on.

There was some discussion of a new docent program which is anticipated to open in 2014, a project which interests me keenly. The duties of a docent would include leading nature and photo walks, birdwatching trips and discussions of the area's history. I'm looking forward to becoming more involved with the group in this regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment