Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Handy Contraption


Day 144: Here's a handy contraption for you! This little gadget converts bobbin winding from work to fun, and gets you on the road to making lace a whole lot faster! Simply give the thread a few turns around the bobbin to hold it in place, then mount the butt in the vise jaws and tighten them with the slider, then crank away. The thread is guided with your other hand to keep the wraps relatively level, and it only takes a minute to wind a bobbin to capacity. This device is a real time-saver!

I've looked at a number of bobbin winders over the years, but any which would accommodate my bobbins was out of my price range. I discovered this one on line and decided to take a chance on it. No instructions came with it and I'm still not quite sure I have the bobbin mounted correctly, but it seems to work just fine. I also ordered a larger 20-inch "cookie" pillow made from Ethafoam to replace my old straw-filled 16-inch pillow which was getting a bit too soft to hold pins securely. I covered the Ethafoam with a broadcloth drawstring bag, a temporary solution until I find a more suitable fabric. Tonight, I'll be merrily winding away, and tomorrow I'll start a new piece of lace!

No comments:

Post a Comment