Sunday, February 24, 2013

Black Hats


Day 145: My love of hats dates back to childhood and the magic of my mother's "hatbox." In reality, the hatbox was a round tin of adequate diameter and height to hold half a dozen toppers. My favorite was a felt hat similar to the modern "Boy George" hat shown on the right, dark purple with a bright red ribbon band and matching feather, perfect for a little girl who even in those days enjoyed playing pirate.

While my closet sports quite a number of hats in various styles and colors, my "good" hats are black. The "Boy George" is felt and I often dress it up with a band of beading or colored ribbon. The Akubra Snowy River was manufactured in Australia and is ornamented with cockatoo feathers and a heart-shaped pin. The heavy leather tricorn is that worn by flamboyant pirate captain Morgan Corbye, proving that while some of us must grow old, we don't have to grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment