Friday, March 29, 2013

Don't Wanna, Don't Hafta


Day 178: There's not much I can do about growing old, but so far, I've successfully resisted growing up. Don't wanna, don't hafta. You can't make me, so neener-neener-neener on you!

I got an email message from my boss-and-friend Kevin a few days ago asking if he could stop by on his way home. "I have something for you," he said. Well, gosh! That's pretty good bait! I certainly wasn't going to say no. When he arrived, he got out of the car with something held behind his back, something he adroitly kept out of my line of sight even while I was showing him the new heat pump. He has two kids so I think he's had plenty of opportunity to practice, but I was not allowed even a sliver of a glimpse of the object until we went indoors. With a big grin, he then handed me an Angry Birds coloring book! His wife had found it in a shop, and of course I immediately came to mind because it was at his home that I first became acquainted with the game.

Some months ago, I purchased a "crayon tower," 150 colors in a telescoping container for a photo shoot. Today, I decided to put it to use. I was shocked and dismayed to discover that you just can't get the vibrant colors out of these modern ones like you could from the ones of my childhood. I suppose they're made with synthetic wax or something it wouldn't hurt a kid to eat. Maybe crayons have gotten "all growed up" and are taking themselves too seriously these days...unlike me.

No comments:

Post a Comment