Saturday, March 30, 2013

Highest Point In Pack Forest


Day 179: With weather and scheduling working against me, I have been more sedentary this winter than I've been in the last forty years. I put aside Angry Birds and needlework today, and headed out to Pack Forest, one of my favorite early-season areas. Before the day was through, I'd bagged the three highest peaks in the forest and logged almost nine miles, stopping briefly at this highest point for lunch.

Was that where I picked up my passengers? While I was sitting on the rock? I hadn't gone bushwhacking, although I had gotten down on my hands and knees for a few photos. In any event, I only discovered them on my way home when I felt a sharp pain on one shoulder blade. Tick! Aaaaagggghhhh!!!

I hate ticks. We never used to worry about ticks in Washington, but times are changing. Every year, I manage to pick up at least one and usually find it before it attaches. Not today! The big one (and there were three in all!) was firmly embedded and came away with a hefty POP! I checked to be certain I'd gotten the head, and thought I had, but the spot is still sore.

Maybe I don't like hiking in Pack Forest as much as I did before. I had fun, but I'm not sure the tradeoff is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment